Thursday, April 14, 2016

A CONTEMPORARY GREEK COMPOSER,
CARAVAGGIO(?) & CATSKILLS ITALIAN

This morning I read Michalis Embeoglou's Facebook post (I still check out FB; I'm just not entering the fray) reporting on his visit to the Theater Knossos in Athens to see Gioachino Rossini's 1816 opera buffa The Barber of Seville. It's based on Pierre Beaumarchais's French comedy Le Barbier de Séville (1775). Michalis described it as "cheerful, light and bright with a 'pocket' orchestra of eleven musicians. Fun, talent, tremendous job by Eugenia Arsenis in directing the music of Rossini. Not heard: moaning about crisis, money and such. Everything is possible."



Michalis is a contemporary music composer who lives in Athens. His Sextet for Flute, Clarinet, Oboe, Bassoon, Violin and Cello, performed in the Athens Megaron by The Greek Contemporary Music Ensemble conducted by Theodore Antoniou, is on YouTube: Michalis Embeoglou Sextet.



I was drawn to his music via his most recent album A Few Notes, which marries solo piano, electronica, bouzouki and electric guitar in an amazing aural journey.



The CD was given to me in Athens on the last night of our January 2015 #MrPhils70thBirthdayTour by our dear Greek archeologist friend Mania Fertakis. I just love it. Michalis' album hasn't been rotated out of iTunes ever since.


Music from the CD A Few Notes by Michalis Embeoglou:








Michalis and I have been in touch via messaging. It turns out he studied in Paris for six years. I'd like to look him up next time we're in Athens. Meanwhile, I'm trying to obtain a DVD copy of Vangelis Seitanidis' film Include Women Out (2014), for which Michalis provided the soundtrack.






French art dealer Eric Turquin with the painting “Judith Beheading Holofernes.” It was found in the loft of a house in southern France. My Caravaggista bride is excited to know that it may be by the Italian master Caravaggio and worth $135,000,000. Here's the skinny.



In 2000 Marti and I spent twelve days in Rome on a Caravaggio Quest. This woman is serious! Here's the nearly 16-year old post about that trip from my old blog.




Finally, I read an interesting article on the Catskills in Travel & Leisure this morning.



Vesuvio Restaurant in Hensonville. Vinegar and Peppers Pork Chops. I wonder how this place compares to the fabulous restaurants we've enjoyed in Firenze and Roma. Think we'll check it out.


No comments :

Post a Comment